At Falling Leaves in Exile, AS 52, (September 2017), Baron Colin Ursell and Baroness Nicolette Bonhomme announced their intentions to retire from said offices.
Several good lords and ladies, listed below, have announced their intentions to seek election to the positions of Baron or Baroness. Their statements can be found on The Candidates page.
(The process for electing a new Baronial Head is outlined in Section V of the Bylaws of the Barony of Carolingia –ed.)
Now that we have a location for February Council, the details for the first round of voting for the Baronial Election are as follows:
The first round will take place at a publicly held baronial meeting no sooner than thirty days and no later than ninety days after the final list of nominees has been announced to the populace. Only those attending may vote. There will be no proxies or absentee votes. To vote, an attendee must be one of the following:
- A voting member of the Great Council of Carolingia
- A paid member residing within the borders of Carolingia
- An attendee at an event in Carolingia in the twelve months prior to the meeting.
All nominees will be listed on the ballot. Voters will mark their ballots with numbers, and may vote in numerical order for as many of the candidates as they like. Then the ballots will be tabulated using a form of the instant-runoff method; to wit:
- Each ballot will be counted as one vote for that first-choice candidate.
- At the end of the first round, the candidate with the fewest votes will be eliminated.
- If a voter’s first-place candidate is eliminated, then their next-highest-ranked choice will be used.
- This process will continue until only one candidate is left. Then this candidate and the last four counted out will be ranked by order of elimination; if the ballot started with five or fewer candidates, then all the candidates will be ranked in this fashion.
The resulting five or fewer candidates will form the set of nominees for the Round Two ballot, in the order determined by the elimination step.
- During the elimination step, if two or more candidates end up with the same number of votes, the elimination order among these candidates shall be chosen at random.
The votes will be counted at the meeting by three people, who will include the current seneschal, a representative on the Kingdom level from out of Barony, and a retired Baronial seneschal or former Baronial officer. None of the vote counters can be candidates for the Baronial Seat. If the current seneschal is a nominee, they will appoint another baronial officer to take their place.
The results will be announced at the next meeting as well as published in the next Baronial newsletter and on any official electronic mailing lists.
The purpose of this round is to determine the order in which the Candidates appear on the final ballot. If you are a voting member of Great Council, I encourage you to ask your constituencies for their opinion.
The final ballot will be mailed to all paid members within the borders of Carolingia, so if you wish to participate in the final poll, check to make sure your membership is current.
If you would like to ask a question of the candidates, please go to the Ask a Question form. The questions will be moderated, and posted to the Candidates’ Answers page. Candidates will then be notified and may provide their answers.