Lady Kassandra says, Welcome to April! If you have not yet sent in your Baronial ballot, go do it right now — we’ll wait for you —
The BoD has decided in person events can resume as of June 1st, 2021 under certain restrictions:
- Masks that fully cover the mouth and nose must be worn by all attendees over the age of 4 at all times and during all activities except for eating and drinking;
- Court, bardic circles, or any activity that involves voice projection shall also require that masks be worn at all times. Sound amplification devices are highly recommended;
- No day board, water bearing, or food of any kind shall be provided by event staff or attendees to other attendees. All attendees must provide their own food and beverages;
- While consuming food or beverages, attendees are required to remain stationary and follow social distancing rules;
- No overnight camping shall be allowed;
- All events shall be held outdoors;
- There shall be a maximum of 150 people at any event; and
- All events shall require preregistration.
Note: The BoD says we cannot require vaccinations for attendance, and requiring negative test results (even if required by site) need a variance from the BoD.
If you would like to restart an activity, please contact the Earl Marshal for all martial activities. Other types of activity should go through the Seneschal – I’m happy to go over the requirements for that. Beyond the SCA requirements, as of March 22nd, Massachusetts limitations for gatherings are 10 people inside at a private residence, 25 outside.
“Within the scope of state & local requirements and the Board’s guidelines, the Crown and Seneschal of the East Kingdom strongly encourage all gatherings to remain explicitly very small — martial & A&S practices, guild and other topic-specific meetings, small events. The Kingdom Earl Marshal will provide specific guidance about martial practices.”
“If in-person business meetings resume, the meeting must also include a virtual component so that as many members of the group who wish to attend may do so.”
Officers of the Barony:
- Baron Thomas of Effingham and Baroness Raziya bint Rusa have no update tonight.
- Seneschal of the Canton of the Towers: Lord Thorvald Olafsson Kveld-Hrútssonar says there is talk of archery and thrown weapons in his Canton, perhaps fighting practice, and perhaps a demo in the Fall. Arlyana adds that Towers will next meet on April 18, and Zohane will conduct a cooking class.
- Chancellor Minor: Lady Fiore di Bardi says the EK is launching a new initiative on May 1: the Consort’s Youth Quest. They are looking for age-appropriate challenges that the Kingdom’s youth can answer. Please volunteer to issue a challenges, and perhaps teach a class to support it. Or you could support your own young person in an entry; youth can even issue a challenge to other youth. Also, Tyger Camp will take place again this summer; see the Chancellor Minor’s page on the EK web site.
- Chronicler: Baron Kendrick del Grenewode sends word that the Minuscule will be out next week.
- Golden Gryphon Pursuivant: Anezka of Carolingia continues to hold office hours on the usual schedule; the next session will include a review of the tongue-in-cheek April submissions. Sat 4/10 there will be an Aethelmearc Heraldic and Scribal Symposium: http://heraldry.aethelmearc.org/events/heralds-and-scribes-2021.html April Fools LoIs are here – search for anything marked “April 1 LoI”: https://oscar.sca.org/index.php?action=101
- Historian: Mistress Eowyn Eilownwy of Alewife Brook is STILL looking for storage space for the archives. Aaradyn says that Mistress Eva has agreed to house the archives for 6 months only, so that Aaradyn can digitize them during that time. After that perhaps we can deaccession some of the paper. Eowyn expresses her gratitude; there ensues a discussion of the sorting process and its merits.
- Knight Marshal: Baron Valerian of Somerset cannot attend, but sends word that he is looking for a suitable outdoor location for practices.
- Marshal of Archery: Master Peter the Red says archery is taking place in Carlisle. Get your April report in; if you have not already done so, it’s late now. Arlyana adds that there may be an archery challenge for the Youth.
- Marshal of Thrown Weapons: Lord Arngeir Refskegg is very pleased to announce that Thrown Weapons will be reopening its Framingham and Carlisle ranges starting next weekend: Saturday the 10th for Framingham and Sunday the 11th for Carlisle. Signing up in advance for both ranges are mandatory; the sign up sheets can be found at:
- Framingham: ttsu.me/pygbce
- Carlisle: ttsu.me/8pbn9g
- The online announcement with all of the restriction and guidelines is available at: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_WjGcHpkAksYXqQyCkBeSMRENA8ewD5g-nihipBS3IU/edit
- Minister of Arts and Sciences: Lady Catriona Genevra has been absorbed in mundane affairs, but she notes that the Baroness has been holding A&S nights every other Wednesday. She expects to be our official Social Media officer soon. Perhaps there can be outdoor craft days this summer?
Falling Leaves: Katla says that there is no word yet on when the site is reopening, but the attendance limits make it unlikely that this event will make financial sense.
Crown Feeder Tourney: Lady Simona bat Leon of Quintavia speaks, and enters this information into the minutes: Feeder Tournament bids are due by May 1 (email@example.com).
The Crown Tournament will start with feeder tournaments to allow for smaller gatherings and less travel. We are seeking bids for feeder tournaments by May 1. The bidding process is open to all regions, and multiple bids are being sought from all regions as multiple feeder tournaments may be needed depending on participation levels. All bids must comply with current kingdom event standards for safety, available on the Kingdom Seneschal’s webpage and should have explicit attendance restrictions noted and a plan for making a live stream of the fighting available. Dates for feeder tournaments would run from June 12 – July 10.
Proposal by Lady Patience Faircloth: She has agreed to be deputy autocrat if feeder tourney moves forward. This would be an event held by Carolingia in conjunction with Quintavia. Simona Bat Leon would be the autocrat. Site costs estimated at $800, to be split evenly. There ensues a wide-ranging discussion covering: a description of the site; how the attendance limits would affect the proceedings; how pre-registration would work; staff considerations. Baron Thomas expresses support for the idea. Mistress Eadgyth notes that additional feeder tournaments will held if necessary to accommodate all the combatants without exceeding the event size limits. The proposal was approved by the Council with an expenditure of $400.
Principals of the Baronial Orders: no updates this month.
Representatives of the Guilds and Activities:
- Jongleurs (Waytes): Lady Ysabel da Costa says that she is hoping to resume Waytes Practice, that is to say ensemble music sessions (since dancing is presently on hiatus), in June when meetings are again allowed. All interested musicians will be welcome.
- Needleworkers: Lady Fiore says that the Needleworkers Guild will meet online April 27 at 6:30, starting a Reticella needle-lace work-along with a special guest, Mistress Grace. Please come!
- Patience says that Newcomer night is happening on mumble mumble night, with a special guest to talk about heraldry.
- Fortunata announces that the Reading Manuscripts Roundtable will continue the study of Greek MS on Sunday, April 25.
- Caitrona reminds us of the upcoming A&S Laurel Challenge, see the EK web site for details. Happy Birthday, Caitrona!
That’s it! See y’all May 3.