Lady Kassandra bangs the gavel. Welcome to 2020; it’s a New Year, yes it is.
Officers of the Barony:
- Baron Thomas of Effingham has no special announcements. Next Baronial court will be at the April A&S event.
- The Canton of the Towers will have a Yule event this Saturday, in garb, with white elephants. Project day will return in February.
- Chatelaine: Baroness Isabelle is moving newcomer night to the Watertown Library starting in February.
- Chancellor Minor: Lady Fiore di Bardi says we have lost no children in the Barony recently.
- Chronicler: Baron Kendrick says he is moving again, please be nice to him. A Minuscule has just been released; another version of the same issue will be released later this week.
- Clerk of the Stables: Baroness Eadgyth is still doing it. She plans to write up a job description, and then seek a replacement once again.
- Chancellor of the Exchequer: Lord Orlando di Medici invites people to come to him if they need reimbursements; he can turn money into other money. (Is that legal?)
- Gold Key: Baroness Alana of Skye says we have a LOT of stuff. We could use more unisex tunics. Please don’t donate any more women’s garb!
- Golden Gryphon Pursuivant: Anezka is ready to help people with paperwork, now that the Pennsic backlog has been cleared.
- Liber Editor: Orlando requests that he be informed when people move, so he can update the Liber.
- Marshal of Fence: Lord Zohane Farber reports that fencing continues Thursday nights in Cambridge; a regional practice will take place soon.
- Marshal of Thrown Weapons: Ranges are closed for the winter. Symon seeks a replacement; Arngeirr has volunteered.
- Steward: Zohane still has our stuff; however, some compression may have occurred.
- Webminister: Symon now has a deputy, Astrid. Add your events to the calendar!
Principals of the Baronial Orders:
- Daystar: Lady Kira says please watch the list, there is news forthcoming.
- Moon: Lady Aaradyn will hold a meeting after the April Council meeting.
Representatives of the Guilds and Activities:
- Cooks: Zohane says the Cooks don’t presently have a meeting scheduled.
- Jongleurs (Waytes, Trumpet and Kettledrum Corps): Lady Ysabel reports that the Waytes continue to meet on Monday nights. They will soon play for the Renaissance Ball at Arisia, and then begin preparations for the Black Rose Ball. Come join us! She also asks whether the Trumpet and Kettledrum Corps should be a unit of the Jongleurs Guild. Zohane objects that trumpeters are not musicians. Ysabel agrees, but thinks it makes sense in terms of the Barony’s organizational structure to place them there. One way or another, a web site will be established for the T&K Corps soon.
- Low Company: Master Justin du Coeur says not much is going on just now. However, regarding dance, please come to Camelot tomorrow night for dance practice! Also come to the Renaissance Ball at Arisia, 2 PM on January 18! There will be a Family Ball at 10 AM on the same day. Fencing demo will be after the Ball this year, at 3:30, instead of before it.
- Needleworkers: Fiore reports that the Guild will meet Thursday, January 23 at her place. Dinner is included, so please RSVP. An Embroidery Schola will be held in Quintavia on February 2, please come!
We are making a donation to the Kingdom from Falling Leaves — 50% rather than 20%, as it was a Royal Progress event.
Kassandra proposes that we should make a donation to the Waltham Public Library in gratitude for the use of their very nice meeting room. The Council makes murmurs of approval. Orlando will think about what the correct amount should be.
Artists and Scholars event: We need a dayboard organizer! Or, we could go out-of-Barony, or do a potluck; what do people think? About 90 people are expected. We are also looking for general volunteers: gate, parking, setup/breakdown. Kassandra points out some new complexity involving a requirement for bartender’s license — does anyone have such a license?
Otter’s Welcome: Patience says it’s now 2020!! We made it! Time for doing new things, especially at this event. Information about sites, fees, dayboard etc. will be forthcoming soon. Expect an email if you have volunteered for something.
Carolingia 50 Year, Falling Leaves: the Council agrees that it’s too early to talk about these events. Eagdyth suggests that we get Falling Leaves on the EK calendar early, if only as a placeholder.
Kira is cooking up an archery event — but not only a Carolingian Company of Bowmen shoot. Instead it will be an archery tourney, as We Are The Best Archers in the East. The event will be held jointly with the dread Shire of Quitavia (shudder) due to concerns about finding a suitable site — also Kira has moved there. This may also be a Cooks event (hello, Zohane?) A Company of Bowmen shoot will be included in the morning, with a prize tourney in the afternoon. Please talk to Kira if you’re interested. This may occur this year, more likely next year.
- Kassandra is looking forward most eagerly to attending Curia at Birka on Sunday morning.
- Birka needs volunteers of all kinds; see the Facebook page.
Meeting closed. See you next month!