The Seneschal, Lady Kassandra Aiantide, says: Welcome to July! We have stuff to talk about this month. Small practices are now being allowed by the East Kingdom, if you have a plan approved in advance by the Seneschal or the Marshal. Contact tracing lists for each meeting must be kept and submitted to the Seneschal (A&S) or Marshal (martial).
Officers of the Barony:
- Baron Thomas of Effingham and Baroness Raziya bint Rusa are thinking about a virtual court but have no firm plans just yet; perhaps a bit of a show? See below …
- Ivan Matfeevich Rezansky, Seneschal of the Canton of the Towers, sends word that there will be a project day and business meeting on July 18; see the Towers Facebook page or email list.
- Chatelaine Isabelle de Montreuil Sur Mer sends this word: I’d like to announce that there will be a virtual newcomer’s night on Monday, July 20th at 7pm. We will be discussing basic sewing patterns to get started, and helping to troubleshoot issues that people have been having in making garb. This is the zoom link, and email and facebook event invites will follow shortly. (link removed)
- Dancemistress Aelia Fortunata announces that there is no news from the dance quadrant as of right now, other than that Known World Dance is postponed until 2022 probably.
- Our Chancellor of the Exchequer, Kara Irini Bint Todori, says we have just finished a quarter and she will be closing the books soon.
- The Golden Gryphon Pursuivant, Anezka of Carolingia, announces that Herald Office Hours will be on Tuesday, July 14th, from 5:30-8:30pm via Google Meet. Additionally, Known World Heralds and Scribes will be this coming weekend, July 11th-12th, online; registration has now closed, but many of the sessions will be recorded and available after the fact. More information here: https://kwhss.lochac.sca.org/
- Eowyn, speaking as Historian, says that the Historian & Chief Fellow of Philosophers expect to attend, but don’t have any announcements planned.
- Marshal of Archery Peter the Red says that, if you have your own equipment, you can come to the target range. Talk to him if you need loaner equipment. Come anytime (call first).
- Marshal of Fence Zohane Farber announces that Remy continues to do online classes Mon. and Thurs. nights, covering period manuscripts to see how different masters approach the same idea.
- Arngeir Refskegg, Marshal of Thrown Weapons, says practices will start up soon, stay tuned.
- Lady Catriona Genevra says there are still no in-person A&S events or meetings, but much has happened online, thanks to everyone! There’s a weekly Try-Athalon project to try; check the Kingdom page or the mailing lists to see what’s going on. Next month: virtual Pennsic University.
Principals of the Baronial Orders:
- Order of the Perseus: Pandaulf is accepting recommendations.
Katla says that, after much discussion, Falling Leaves will be online rather than in-person. Details by next Council.
A threatening letter was sent to our Baron; his address was apparently obtained from the Regnum rather than the Liber. Kingdom has agreed to allow home addresses to be omitted from the Regnum in the future. If you have questions or concerns about the Liber, contact Orlando (who is being volunteered because, not only is he the Liber Editor, he’s not present at this meeting).
Thomas would like to see some recommendations for the new Baronial Children’s award soon. A discussion of whether awards can be given virtually ensues; Justin proposes consulting the recipient, and others concur. Thomas would like to have awards not be greatly delayed by the Period of Exile. Kassandra suggests that people who have ideas for online activities at Falling Leaves, including awards, should contact Katla.
Representatives of the Guilds and Activities:
- Calligraphers: Lady Aaradyn Ghyoot says that Known World Heralds and Scribes is proud to include many instructors from the East Kingdom and even from Carolingia. BTW, registration has closed because it hit the 500 person online maximum. Biggest KWHS ever! You can still see classes recorded on YouTube after the fact.
- Jongleurs (Waytes): Lady Ysabel da Costa says that the Waytes attempted an in-person meeting but didn’t achieve critical mass. Another meeting may be attempted sometime soon-ish; all are welcome if it happens.
- Low Company: Master Justin du Coeur attempted to hold an online meeting a week and a half ago, but it didn’t work out. Another attempt will come soon.
There will be a performance (online) of Hamlet next Sunday, including several Carolingians!
- Performance: The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark
- Sunday, July 12, 2020, 3:00 PM.
- Greetings to the East Kingdom and the Knowne World! We will be livestreaming our performance of Hamlet straight to the East Kingdom’s YouTube channel. (Link Removed)
Justin reminds us of the ongoing Scribal auction.
That’s it for July. Fortunata displays a large cat. Remember to write in people for awards. See you next month!