Lady Kassandra Aiantide, the Seneschal, begins our meeting with a tap of her gavel and these announcements:
Baronial Election – No update yet. The deadline for results is June 12th, so we should hear soon.
New Reopening Guidelines: Current guidelines in place through the end of June. Starting July 1st, follow local guidelines. SCA guidelines as of July 1st are:
- No feast, no dayboards, no shared drinking containers or food provided by event.
- All events must have preregistration.
- Specific wording required on event notices, flyers, online announcements, ads, at the event, etc., stating that participants accept the risks of attending.
EK Specific guidance that applies to us:
“[…]we strongly encourage events to continue safety practices like having plenty of hand sanitizer throughout the event, having some disposable masks on hand, cleaning high-touch areas frequently, etc. We also strongly encourage event staff to wear masks, even if they are fully vaccinated, so that all attendees can feel more comfortable returning to events. Safety measures should be described in the event listing for better transparency with the populace.”
Although Society has lifted attendance caps, any events that have been planned & budgeted with the 150 person attendance limit may proceed as planned.
Future Council Dates: July 12th (to avoid long weekend for July 4th), August 2nd, September will be the 13th to avoid Labor Day/Rosh Hashanah. We wouldn’t normally meet in August, but it’s the last Council meeting before Falling Leaves, and we won’t be at Pennsic.
Reminders about open positions:
- Seneschal – stepping down after Baronial Investiture
- Principal of the Order of the Daystar – has a volunteer!
- Golden Gryphon – has a volunteer!
- Gold Key
Officers of the Barony:
- Baron Thomas of Effingham and Baroness Raziya bint Rusa still don’t have a house, and they have no news for the Barony.
- Chatelaine: Baroness Isabelle de Montreuil Sur Mer announces that the next newcomer night will be Monday June 21st, 7 – 9 pm. There will be an event posting later. Topic suggestions welcome, we are here to serve.
- Chancellor Minor: Lady Fiore di Bardi says we are in the midst of a Youth Challenge at the Kingdom level! You can still join for the last 2 months, it’s not too late.
- Chronicler: Baron Kendrick del Grenewode sends this word: If there is any info about changes in officers I will update the minuscule from the council notes.
- If there is a change in any group activity meeting plans, please, PLEASE activity principals, group leaders, masters of the fun, marshals, the person in the group that makes cookies so the event is well attended, send me an email with your new meeting information.
- If anyone would like to see their work published as the author of a period style poem, interesting recipe, task instructions, or article in the minuscule, send me an email and I can help you fulfill that wish.
- Dancemistress: Lady Aelia Fortunata is thinking about some outdoor public dancing; she is also going to check with the Presentation School about when they will again be available.
- Chancellor of the Exchequer: Kara Irini Bint Todori has nothing special, but she is thinking that it’s time to consider having a Deputy Exchequer. Call or email Kara at email@example.com. Kassandra adds this Framingham Practice Space update – The site now requires a certificate of insurance listing them as an additional insured, which has a fee of $50. The Finance Committee approved that, and the request was submitted with a credit card payment to speed things along. We’ll be putting in for a $50 reimbursement after that goes through. The practice will start up after the site has received the certificate and we’ve signed a contract, date TBD, but not before June 23rd.
- Gold Key: Baroness Alanna of Skye sends these words: I’m looking to step down for Gold Key. The barony has about 10 large tubs of garb, more than fits in my SUV. It is sorted by type at the moment.
- There’s 2 main duties for the job: 1) connect with Carolingians who need to borrow garb for an event anywhere and get them options in advance. 2) get a large amount (6ish tubs) to Carolingian events where we expect newcomers and staff a tent for people to get garb and return it after. Less tubs/staffing for smaller events (baronial bardic champs I took 1 tub and left it with gate, falling leaves I used all 6ish and dressed 20ish people at my own tent). You do not need to personally get it there and staff it if you can recruit help.
- Currently, the tubs are being stored for free in my garage in Watertown. If needed, I can deliver to you.
- Other duties include connecting with people who want to donate items, arranging repairs for damaged items, and cleaning worn/dirty items.
- Most people who contact gold key do so by Facebook. If you have more questions email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Golden Gryphon Pursuivant: Anezka of Carolingia will be stepping down in a couple of months, let her know if you’re interested.
- Heraldic Office Hours this month has already passed, and will be before Council in July also (July 6, 6:30 – 9:30 PM, tends to run late, stop in anytime during that period).
- Also, the Kingdom of the West is hosting KWHS (http://kwhss.sca.org/) online July 9 – 11. Justin adds that RMR will do a session.
- Historian: Mistress Eowyn Eilownwy of Alewife Brook has audio! She says that Aaradyn is doing wonderful things and turns it over to her. Aaradyn reports that her work on the archives continues. Our Archives will henceforth be focused on the Barony, so Kingdom and SCA-level materials such as the Pikestaff and Tournaments Illuminated will be deaccessioned – besides, those are mostly already digitized elsewhere. A list of these materials will be posted in July for those who want to claim something; deadline will be September 30. New boxes will be needed for the remaining physical archives.
- Knight Marshal: Baron Valerian of Somerset running practice roughly every other week in North Reading on Sundays; he aims to establish a rotating schedule of locations, including Framingham (pending the insurance issue mentioned above). The last practice was well attended by people from all over.
- Marshal of Archery: Master Peter the Red says that archery in Canton of the Towers continues pandemic-style – small gatherings by appointment.
- Marshal of Thrown Weapons: Lord Arngeir Refskegg sends word that Thrown Weapons continues to go on strong, also in Quintavia now.
- Steward: Lord Zohane Farber hopes to resume fencing practice in Framingham, see above.
- Webminister: Lord Symon of Barnesdale sends word that he is beginning to work on stuff for Falling Leaves.
Principals of the Baronial Orders:
- Daystar: Lady Kira is holding the Annual Meeting tonight after Council. A new Principal will be selected. (Note: Lord Guinemer d’Anglade is the new Principal.)
- Moon: Lady Aaradyn Ghyoot says the Moon will meet after next month’s Council.
- Perseus: Lord Pandaulf of Fenmere says Hi.
Representatives of the Guilds and Activities:
- Jongleurs (Waytes): Lady Ysabel da Costa says that the Waytes will meet at 7:30 PM Monday 6/14 at her house to play ensemble music. All instrumental musicians are welcome, please come play music with us! Send email to email@example.com to get the address and directions if you need them. In keeping with the June rules, masks will be worn at all times, so we cannot play recorders and other mouth-blown instruments this time. According to my reading of the latest announcement, we may include all instruments starting in July.
- Low Company: Master Justin du Coeur plans to do something at Falling Leaves. He’s also looking at an in-person get-together soon, TBA.
- Needleworkers: Lady Fiore di Bardi says Hello! She moved in May and missed the May meeting; next meeting will be June 24 at 6:30 online — this may be the last virtual-only meeting, details pending.
- Philosophers: Mistress Eowyn says: we think, therefore we are.
Crown Feeder Tourney – There are 22 couples assigned to the Quintavia/Carolingia Feeder. Patience reports that we do not yet have a signed contract; something should happen tomorrow. Plans are progressing apace. Valerian asks, who will the Marshal in Charge be? Patience says that is an excellent question and they agree to figure it out. Justin asks if the event is limited to 150? Yes it is, it is not open to the general public – participants, supporters, and event staff only. Simona confirms the 150-person limit, and mentions that House Runymede and the Royal Households are also invited. Contact both Patience and Simona with any questions.
Falling Leaves – Katla reports that the online event listing placeholder is up for September 11. Looking for volunteers for online content. The Baronial Investiture may be included, if the royals and new coronets agree.
Patience just got her 2nd vaccine and plans to hug everyone! Open up if you get a knock at 2 AM.
Justin thinks that next Arisia will be in-person; it’s starting to organize, let him know if you’re interested.
Goodbye June! (No, we have a lot of June left.) Would the New Seneschal please contact Kassandra. Margreta says she is Not Available for the job.