Lady Kassandra Aiantide, the Seneschal, begins by noting that is is March — still March. She goes on to discuss the upcoming Baronial election, as follows:
“I received the mailing labels file from SCA, Inc. this morning. I now have ten days to get the ballots into the mail. They must be mailed by the 11th of March, or the address list is considered invalid. The Polling Period starts the day following the mailing of the last polling form. I solemnly swear I will get the last ballot into the mail on March 11th. So, Polling period will begin March 12th.”
“EK Law mandates that a polling must run at least 30 days, but no more than 45 days, and that all paid members of the group are to receive a polling form, including those younger than 14 years of age. So a Polling end date of April 24th. (That is 44 days.)”
“The Polling end date is not the date the polls must be mailed by – it is the date the polls must be -received- by. Mail is taking longer right now – please return your ballot as soon as possible.”
“At least 1/2 of the polled Populace must send back their forms correctly filled out for the poll to be valid. Poll validity count includes members under age 14.”
Cost of this balloting: $239.80 in postage, about $27 in printing ballots, $15 for labels, $35 for envelopes, so hopefully around $317 total.
The second Q&A with the candidates will be Sunday March 7th at 2pm.
Officers of the Barony:
- Baron Thomas of Effingham and Baroness Raziya bint Rusa wave and greet the populace.
- The Seneschal of the Canton of the Towers is now Lord Thorvald Olafsson Kveld-Hrútssonar, elected yesterday! (Apparently he did not run away fast enough.) Arlyana reports that the next Towers Project Day will be about making chalice or cup covers.
- Chancellor Minor: Frithuric speaks on behalf of Fiore and reports on a couple of recent online events, talking more quickly that the Secretary could record. Contact the office of the Chancellor Minor if you are interested in future online child-oriented events.
- Chronicler: Baron Kendrick del Grenewode is only here to hear about the timeline for the polling.
- Chancellor of the Exchequer: Kara Irini Bint Todori agrees to arrange reimbursements for the election and the Calivers as described below.
- Golden Gryphon Pursuivant: Anezka announces that Carolingian Heraldic Office Hours are now on first Tuesdays — that’s tomorrow, March 2nd at 6:30pm. Virtual Heralds Point was held recently and several Carolingians were assisted to get heraldry set up. Aethelmearc will have a Heraldic and Scribal Symposium in April: http://heraldry.aethelmearc.org/events/heralds-and-scribes-2021.html
- Historian: Mistress Eowyn is stuck on mute, but eventually phones in. She is continuing to collect histories. There are still no bites for new storage space for the archives; Symon said he has put an announcement on the website. Margreta would like things removed to their new location by the end of the month. The location must be dry and safe; some space for expansion and ease of access would be desirable. Digitization will be a thing, but the original artifacts will not go away.
- Marshal of Archery: Peter the Red says that archery is happening at his place, call ahead please to arrange a shoot in good weather.
- Marshal of Thrown Weapons: Lord Arngeir announces that the Deputy Earl Marshal has just sent out some guidelines for the upcoming season; more information to come.
- Webminister: Lord Symon of Barnesdale says the web site is up and running; questions for the Baronial candidates are being asked and answered there.
Representatives of the Guilds and Activities:
- Low Company: Master Justin du Coeur wants to report on the Reading Manuscripts Rountable, which met yesterday to begin to look at Greek manuscripts. It’s fun, no knowledge of Greek required, come join us. Next meeting will be in about a month.
- Needleworkers: Lady Fiore di Bardi reports that the Guild is meeting online on the 4th Thursday of each month at 6:30. If you are interested in stabbing fabric we would love to hear from you! The Guild has agreed to expand its scope to include decorative stitching beyond what is usually considered “embroidery”.
- Philosophers: Eowyn can generate a brief comment, if we’d like to hear it.
- Storytellers: Sir Michael of York says, “The next meeting on Monday Evening March 15. This meeting will start at 8pm and run till 10pm. We’ll be using Zoom – garb not requested. The topic will be “numbers”. This is inspired by the fact that the day before is PI day (as well as time-change day). Poems and stories and songs and performances about numbers are encouraged. I will be looking up Fibonacci and his Rabbits story, as well as other “numerical” stories – or where the numbers in the story are interesting. I believe that there is a sonnet about numbers as well as a reply from some SCA folks. I’ll make sure those are available as well. Look for details (including the Zoom link) on the Carolingian Email List, on FB Carolingia and on FB Quintavia – or just contact me directly.”
- Calivers: Remy sends word that he has acquired ten enamel pins to use as regalia for the illustrious Bomb Kitty award – given by the Captain of the Calivers for about five years now to commemorate a truly magnificent (and maybe useful) death. The Calivers have a stipend of $50. The full purchase price with shipping was $89.13. I would like to move that we approve the cost over the stipend amount. Could also be taken from the fencing stipend, unused due to pandemic.
- History of the Bomb Kitty: https://thetavernknight.wordpress.com/2016/11/15/the-bomb-kitty-award/
- Enamel pin based on medieval rocket cat illustration: https://www.etsy.com/listing/953159435/38mm-rocket-cat-hard-enamel-pin?ref=shop_home_active_3
- The Council approves a reimbursement for these expenses.
Kira says: the Spring Arts event is not happening this year due to the ongoing attack of Life. Please consider doing the online Laurel’s Challenge and other great A&S events!
No updates for Falling Leaves as of yet.
Fortunata reminds us to check out Panther Vale’s upcoming Studium Generale, to be held this coming weekend. https://www.eastkingdom.org/event-details/?eid=3713
Patience announces that the next Newcomer Night will take place on March 27 at 7 or 7:30, look for the event posting at a later time. There will be a fancy guest, TBA.
Raziya mentions that she continues to hold a craft and chat evening every other Wednesday, 7:30 to 9:30, on Google Meet. Get in touch with Tasha to get the link.
That’s it for March!