Lady Kassandra Aiantide ends the pre-meeting chat to start the meeting precisely at 7:30, by banging her cell phone.
Curia: It happened last weekend. And it went on for over three hours. If anyone has specific questions, you may ask Kassandra. Mikjall, the EK Exchequer, has put up a report on the EK Exchequer website of the 2020 budget showing comparisons with past years, which may be of interest to some.
The annual Carolingian Bylaws Amendment vote will happen at next month’s Council on Nov. 2nd. If you hold a voting seat on Council, please email Kassandra before Council on Nov. 2nd with your vote. If you have a question about whether or not you hold a voting seat, please ask.
Officers of the Barony:
- Baron Thomas and Baroness Raziya defer to Kassandra, who gives this update on the quest for new Baronial Coronets: We have found a jeweler willing to tell us the kinds of metal the old hats are made of, if we can bring them to him. We need to vote on the expenditure, decide if fundraising can take place, and what that process would look like. Raziya says that people feel “morally ambiguous” about requesting donations during the pandemic, so perhaps there can be an online auction or raffle to raise funds. Justin suggests that donations should be accepted in some way from those who are willing and able to donate. Thomas points out that we would have to consult the Exchequer about the legality of options such as raffles. Kara, the Exchequer, confirms that the Barony has sufficient funds already in hand to place the order. Raziya reminds us that selling the metal in the old coronets may offset some of the new purchase. The purchase of the new stainless-steel coronets is approved by a show of thumbs.
- Master Ivan Matfeevich Rezansky, Seneschal of the Canton of the Towers, announces an Arts Sunday for this weekend on the topic of scroll making. Next meetings will be in November and December. Speaking in his role as EK Social Media Officer, he tells the Council this: the Kingdom encourages us to create a Facebook official Page and/or Group for Carolingia per their current policy. Caitrona volunteers to manage the new page for the time being. Eowyn reminds the Council that not everyone participates in social media. Ivan responds that this cannot be our only official means of communication and will not supplant other media. Symon suggests automatic replication of items from the Carolingian web site to the “official” FB page. Tasha observes that some people didn’t realize we even had a web page, and thought we were only on FB. Justin points out that more people are on FB than any other platform. It is agreed to go ahead with the creation of an official page, separate from the current unofficial one, for announcements only.
- Chatelaine: Baroness Isabelle will hold a Newcomer Night in November; date TBA. If you are a newcomer with a topic or question you’d like to discuss, please do come and bring it up.
- Chancellor Minor: Lady Fiore di Bardi says we have still not lost any of our children. Not much is going on, but there are a few child-friendly classes out there, and a youth display will be included in Kingdom A&S Champs. Wearing another hat, Fiore announces that Needleworkers Guild will next meet Thursday, 10/22 at 6:30; a guest will discuss needlework.
- Dancemistress: Lady Aelia Fortunata will hold her monthly Dance Thingie this Thursday 10/8. An invitation went out to very many people. Topic will be a review of recorded music.
- Golden Gryphon Pursuivant: Anezka of Carolingia has a deputy, Richard Hayworth (hi!). She will send a link for Heraldic Office Hours as usual. She is also building a Baronial Library of heraldic reference works, and she will create book plates for this purpose to identify the books as belonging to the Barony.
- Marshal of Archery: Master Peter the Red announces that archery is ongoing, pretty much every day if Peter agrees to your choice of time. Masks required, number of people is limited, activity is outdoors. Also, as Baronial Champion, Peter is conducting a shoot to select his successor, and he needs more local archers to compete with those from Stonemarche (who are trying to save their sheep). Video will be submitted to Their Excellencies to choose their Champions. In response to a query from Patience, Peter recites a tale about sheep and conflict in what was probably an ancient and historic North Shore accent.
- Marshal of Fence: Lord Zohane Farber says that online sessions continue to be taught by Remy on Monday and Thursday nights.
- Marshal of Thrown Weapons: Lord Arngeir Refskegg is conducting throws at the previously announced times, or contact him about coming at other times. Some repair on the stands in Framingham may be needed soon.
- Minister of Arts and Sciences: Lady Catarina says that, this month, Kingdom A&S is spinning up some courses aimed at people who may want to participate in Crown’s A&S Champs. We should have an A&S hangout night for the Barony, yes we should. Congrats to our own Fiore, who is the new EK A&S Rubric Deputy.
- Webminister: Lord Symon of Barnesdale says that our virtual event is being regarded as a model for other virtual events.
Principals of the Baronial Orders:
- Daystar: Lady Kira will hold a meeting immediately after Council.
- Perseus: Lord Pandaulf of Fenmere says his order recently welcomed a new member.
Representatives of the Guilds and Activities:
- Jongleurs (Waytes): Lady Ysabel da Costa reports that the Waytes have had several successful hybrid meetings, attended by a mix of onsite and remote participants. Additional recordings are being contemplated; in the meantime, music is being made.
Peter says that the Quiver of Marion, Badge of the Archery Champion, has been turned over to its new holder, so he needs to make quivers — check in with him if you are interested.
Thomas announces a production of Henry V that will involve several members of the Barony — it will be awesome. More information on Facebook or here: https://temperancedrinkwater.wordpress.com/
Justin says the hotel has agreed not to sue, so Arisia is on for MLK weekend. He is doing the web site; let him know if you’d like to jump in with that.
Eowyn says we should all register and vote. She asks that the following URL be entered into the minutes: https://www.sec.state.ma.us/ele/eleidx.htm
We have survived another month. See you in November!