Lady Kassandra, the Seneschal, notes that it’s September, in case you were having trouble with that. She continues with some announcements:
- The Carolingian Bylaws amendment vote has been moved to Nov. 2nd.
- The Consuls have scheduled a Curia for 9/27. The agenda has been posted to the list and Facebook group. If you have comments, please send them to me, or to Their Excellencies.
Falling Leaves Recap: Symon tells us that this was the first all-virtual event in the EK! Tasha says, what about Harpers? Perhaps Harpers was partly live — discussion ensues, but no definite conclusion is reached.
- Baronial Orders awarded at Falling Leaves:
- Comet – Rose, Jasper, Alex, Iddo, Valerie, Nathaniel
- Perseus – Zohane
- Daystar – Doroga, Serafina, Kendrick
- Moon – Fortunata
- Recorded Performances:
- Carolingia’s Test Kitchen – 35 views
- Court – 77 views
- i Sebastiani – 36 views
- Vince Conaway performance – 36 views
- Remarks from Katla: Thanks to many people, including Kassandra, Patience, Symon, Thomas, Raziya, Justin, Aldreda, Remy, Sir Michael, and others.
- Raziya is interested in Congregate (the platform used for gaming during this event) for future events. Justin responds that it is being developed at Harvard, and is therefore very Carolingian. He is working with the developers.
The First Ethereal EK Court of Consuls Tindal and Alberic included three awards to Carolingians. Astridr Eiriksdottir received an AoA, Damian MacWard received a Silver Tyger, and Alex/Aria received a Tyger’s Cub. Vivant!
Artists & Scholars: It is planned to reschedule the postponed Artists & Scholars event as an online event to take place in February. This will not be a competition, but an exhibition. Kira thinks this event will work well online, with many of its planned elements still in place. The A&S community is excited about this. Symon is involved in the planning. Not sure yet if we will use Zoom, Congregate, or some other platform. Justin notes that Congregate is best suited for small tables; Kira does expect a strong turnout. Eowyn asks about the date? Mid to Late February is the target date. Eadgyth asks about budgeting? Kira says that Kingdom is covering the Zoom account, so this is basically free for us. Eadgyth suggest that a contribution would be appropriate; discussion ensues, to be continued later. The event concept is approved by the (virtually) assembled Council by a show of thumbs.
Carolingian 50th Year Celebration: Symon speaks, saying thus: “I have come to the sad conclusion that it is unlikely that it will be safe for Carolingia to host a large event in early 2021. Because of this, I think we should decline to hold a Carolingian 50th Anniversary event next spring. As you may know, Carolingia was founded in November 1970, and held its first event on Valentine’s Day, 1971. (We adopted the name Carolingia in between these two points in time). Certainly, while we should celebrate the Barony, doing so in a fitting manner and with a large gathering is exceedingly unwise at this time. I would like to propose that a portion of Falling Leaves 2021 include homage to the 50th anniversary of the Barony. This of course presupposes a Falling Leaves event in 2021, and one that can safely have a large number of people. As I am the person standing and proposing the idea, it seems only fit that I also offer to be a part of the Falling Leaves 2021 staff. I am willing to do so.”
Officers of the Barony:
- Seneschal of the Canton of the Towers: Master Ivan Matfeevich Rezansky has a project day coming up on Sunday, topic storytelling — see the FB page.
- Chatelaine: Baroness Isabelle de Montreuil Sur Mer. Patience speaks saying that a newcomer night will take place soon, stay tuned for the announcement.
- Chronicler: Baron Kendrick del Grenewode needs to request $40 in reimbursement of postage and printing costs for delivery of paper copies of the Miniscule to those who’ve requested them. Eadgyth believes that officers have an allowance of $50 per year? People are unsure so she consults the bylaws. Section 1, item C: yes, there is an allowance.
- Dancemistress: Lady Aelia Fortunata sends these words: the first online dance discussion went well! The next online dance gathering is Oct 8th, please let Fortunata know what topics you are interested in.
- Golden Gryphon Pursuivant: Anezka of Carolingia has already held Office Hours for this month, since Council is late. Now is a good time to make armory submissions!
- Historian: Mistress Eowyn Eilownwy of Alewife Brook says nothing is new, except our completely new form of event, which is historical.
- Knight Marshal: Baron Valerian of Somerset says that fighting in Massachusetts is still banned. Duke Edward is doing no-contact drills at Camelot, but fighting is not allowed at this time.
- Marshal of Archery: Master Peter the Red asks people to arrange a time to shoot — it has been busy! Masks are required. The Baronial Archery Championship being held until Oct. 31st at the Carlisle range. It may have something to do with sheep and their predators. It will be in garb, and taped.
- Marshal of Fence: Lord Zohane Farber says: Remy is doing things Mondays and Thursdays, see Facebook for the schedule. Also, Remy will be hosting an online, video-based fencing demo at this year’s (online) Arisia. Kassandra notes for the minutes that she approves this demo.
- Marshal of Thrown Weapons: Lord Arngeir Refskegg says Thrown Weapons is being held in Framingham and Carlisle, and some people are becoming regulars. There may be loaner gear available soon, with suitable precautions.
- Minister of Arts and Sciences: Lady Catriona Genevra says that A&S just did a nice not-a-competition display at Falling Leaves, with help from Symon. She is looking to have more of a persistent A&S presence on the Carolingian web site, and would like to hold some virtual craft days soon.
- Webminister: Lord Symon of Barnesdale says we had a really nice online event! Yay!
Principals of the Baronial Orders:
- Daystar: Lady Kira welcomes the new members of the Order. She says that there will be a Daystar Meeting after October Council — if you are not on the mailing list, please ask her to add you.
Representatives of the Guilds and Activities:
- Jongleurs (Waytes): Lady Ysabel da Costa says this: “The Waytes plan to continue their recent experiments with audio recording and sound editing. If the dance community would like us to record particular pieces, please send an email to email@example.com and we will gladly take up your challenges. I would also like to collect photos of Carolingians dancing, especially from local practices and from events where the Waytes performed, for future use.”
- Low Company: Master Justin du Coeur says the Low Company has been conducting experiments for the past few months. He has learn this: publicize, publicize, publicize! He has tried several online gaming platforms, please contact him for recommendations.
Baron Thomas of Effingham and Baroness Raziya bint Rusa:
- Their Excellencies have received two estimates for new Baronial coronets:
- Muin, Baron of Bakhail (Stainless steel) $500 for both
- Caithan (Nickel, brass wave, lapis lazuli) $1400
- Still need to find out what the materials from the first set are worth, discuss having someone lead fundraising.
- The Baron notes that sturdy is good for Baronial coronets. The Council voices hearty approval of the idea of stainless steel coronets. Eadgyth proposes that the old silver coronets be sold to fund the purchase of the new coronets. Justin proposes that some fundraising also be done.
- Having now twice tried to find a new Performing Arts Champion, Their Excellencies are allowing Mistress Dreda to step down. When there are four gentles interested in competing for the position, a championship will be held.
- Their Excellencies would like to step down at the end of their term, and wish to start the selection process for their replacements.
- Eadgyth congratulates Zohane on becoming the latest to hold all three Baronial orders — there have been only 18 such in the history of the Barony. A discussion of the history of the Orders follows.
- Fortunata says: do you write poetry? Do you like to put it to music? do you like dancing? She would like to organize a masque on the theme of Pandora’s Box. Many enthusiastic comments are entered into the meeting chat.
- Justin announces that Arisia is planned to be held online this January.
- Peter says that he inadvertently let slip to Stonemarche about the archery challenge, and they are coming down to attempt to claim their sheep.
Kassandra says this is a wrap for whatever month this was, probably September. See you next month!