Great Council Minutes Jul AS LVIII (2023) 7:30 PM

Coronets Nobildonna Fiore Leonetta Bardi and Lord Frithuric Ulman:

Fiore: Not much going on. We’re heading into camping season, GNE is this weekend. If you’re on the fence about going, talk to Katla about camping with the barony and getting on the meal plan.

Let their excellencies know what you’ve going on. If you’ll be at Pennsic, let us know where so we can say hello.

50 year is coming up.


Seneschal Lady Aaradyn Gyoot

Welcome to July. The meeting is in a new location upstairs, and the AC is broken, so it is warm.

There is no August council due to Pennsic, have a good war.

September council is delayed one week due to the holiday, so out next meeting will be after 50 year/falling leaves.
We have been contacted about a demo opportunity at Topsfield fairground for a rennaisance fair convention thing in November.

We are not committed, but it we are soliciting opinions.
Torvald: I am aware of these people, and I would like to support it.

Justin: Is this a for profit group or?

Donato: We might have access to a forge at that location.

Symon: The topsfield fairgrounds are a great location. But in this instance would we blend to much into the background and simply be providing them content.

Torvald: When this group tried to have their previous event in Peabody, they also had people from periodish media.

?: The key word is Demo. Even if we’re providing their content, that doesn’t prevent us from talking about the society and advertising and such.

Arylana: Wasn’t there an issue with demos?
Aaradyn: This has eased slightly. You can do simple A&S demo stuff without an issue, even hands on. It’s currently unclear what can be done in martial activities and other activities with higher risk profiles.

Stephanie: Would the chancellor minor be wanted?

Aaradyn: Absolutely. Details forthcoming.

Sojourner: Waivers will likely change again soon, and we shouldn’t worry about it to far in advance until we know what will actually apply at the time.

Justin: If we are going to do a demo, we need someone who can act as the point person.

Fiore: So, we need an autoocrat?

Trent volunteers.

Aardyn: So, if the barony votes to go forward, we can move forward.

The exact date in november is not known. Contact person: Jenna.

Seneschal of the Canton of the Towers: Lord Thorvald Olafsson Kveld-Hrútssonar

No Report

Secretary Lord Donato Favro

No Report

Chancellor of the Exchequer Kara Irini bin Todori

No Report

Chancellor Minor Baron Cristoff Gockerhan von Loch and Stephanie Leatherfoot L’Huissier
No Report

Chatelaine Master Justin de Coeur

No Report

Golden Gryphon Pursuivant Richard Heyworth:

No Report

Gold Key Lady Ysabel da Costa

No Report

Knight Marshal Valerian of Somerset

No Report

Minister of Arts & Sciences Meisterin Cathain Ritter

No Report

Web Minister Magister Symon of Barnesdale

No Report

Chronicler Master Gunðormr Dengir:

No Report

Dance Lady Aelia Fortunata

No Report

Historian Mistress Eowyn Eilownwy of Alewife Brook

No Report

Liber Editor Lord Orlando dei Medici

No Report

Marshal Fence Lord Zohane Faber

No Report

Marshal Archery Master Peter the Red
No Report
Marshal Thrown Weapons Lady Dierdre Greenwode

Championships are happening at GNEW weather permitting.

Minister of the Lists Lord Trentus Nubianus

No Report

Steward Lord Zohane Faber

Zohane is looking for a replacement steward. If you have any interest, let Aaradyn know.

Clerk of the Stable Etain ingen Ut Neill

There has been a lack of use of the clerk of the stables. More old timers are coming up to her asking for rides, but no one is offering?Historically, we have not been promoting that we have a rideshare program, so historically it has been word of mouth. But do we want to promote it? Are there any suggestions on how to make it work better?Do we want to Autocrats to manage it?

Aowyen: I went to a small gathering, and there were old timers who were not able to get there. Even practices.
This afternoon I was talking to a couple of ~founding generation carolingians who cannot get to 50 years, and I pointed them to Etain.
I would establish a list of providers first, and then we can contact them for people who are interested.

?: I don’t see it on the website.

Aaradyn: It’s there.

Reidan: If people need rides, they need to ask, right? Yes, we can make the clerk more obvious, but we can’t read people’s minds about when they need a ride.

Ysabel: It used to be the case that there would be an e-mail prior to each event and the Clerk matched them. It may have been during the pandemic that this lapsed. It could also go into the event announcement on the EK calendar.

Valerian: I’m wondering if this concept isn’t outdated a bit, as social media provides much of the same functionality. I’m not suggesting abolishing the office, but it isn’t quite as much of a thing anymore.

Eadgyth: I think that we need to maintain the office, and the option for people not to be posting directly. Because what works within an established community doesn’t necessarily work for a newcomer of visitor. Or for shy individuals who have rejection sensitive dysphoria, and don’t respond well to a lack of response.

?: I do not use social media, so not everyone who can provide rides does.

Trentus: A lot can be done through social media, but we still need people to reach out.

Etain:I was thinking of the fact that a lot of our newcomers have not gotten on social media, and that’s a reason to keep it. I would very much support putting the offer on the event page for 50 year.

Elspeth: Ditto Eadgyth. I know my first event with Carolingia wouldn’t have happened without the clerk of the stables, and I wouldn’t have joined the Waytes. We can’t fix Boston’s transportation and affordability issues, so people do need to ask.
A few months ago for a not immediately local event, I tried using the Clerk of the Stables, and was unable to get a ride. So the system can work, but doesn’t always work. Part of the “saving the cost of a car” by living in the city sometimes means you might need to look at transit options.

Justin: Small note: Social media means facebook. The under 30 crowd hate facebook, so there are issues with relying on it.
Calls for rides with disabilities often go unheard. Is that something that falls to the Clerk of the Stables.
Yes, there are no restrictions.

How do we guarantee it?
There’s no guarantee.

Aaradyn: There is no obligation to provide a ride to anyone, we should where possible.

Further conversation should happen over the e-mail list.

Social Media Officer Lady Caterina Genevra Beltrami

No Report

Principals of Baronial Orders 

Order of the Daystar Lord Guinemar d’Anglade

If you know someone you would like to nominate for the Daystar (Service) please let Their Excellencies or the Principal of the Order know! You do not need to be a member to nominate someone for the Order.

Order of the Moon Lady Eleanor Catling:

If you know someone you would like to nominate for the Moon (Arts and Sciences) please let Their Excellencies or the Principal of the Order know! You do not need to be a member to nominate someone for the Order.

There is an A&S display and moon challenges scheduled for 50 year.

Order of Perseus Lord Pandaulf:

If you know someone you would like to nominate for the Perseus (Martial Activities) please let Their Excellencies or the Principal of the Order know! You do not need to be a member to nominate someone for the Order.

Order of the Comet Baron Cristoff Gockerhan von Loch and Stephanie Leatherfoot L’Huissier

If you know a youth you would like to nominate for the Comet please let Their Excellencies or the Principals of the Order know! You do not need to be a member to nominate someone for the Order.


Low Company Master Justin du Coeur


Calligraphers Lady Aaradyn Ghyoot:

Waytes Lady Ysabel da Costa

Donato will be stepping up. The first meeting will be in late August.


Rapier Champs Baron Frithuric Ulman
34 people showed up. We lost 10 dollars. We have a new rapier champ. It rained.

Carolingia 50 Year Bethany

The hotel block is live. The link is on the event page and the facebook page. We need to fill 18 rooms by August 8th. Royals have had their chance. There will be portapotties and handwashing stations in addition to the standard facilities. Merchants please contact me. Merchants will need to set up tents, but will be able to set up Friday.

Trentus will be staying on site as security Friday and Saturday. All martial activities are moving forward, except equestrian, which we are trying to determine interest. Remy will do fencing. We will be trying to do a Pas des armes. Invitations have been sent to the Chivs and Households. Both the sitting royals and their Highnesses will be present. A lot of pageantry. Jehan is writing handwritten invitations to all current and former Baronage of Carolingia. There has been interest. There is a 75% chance that Prince Baldric will show with his fighters. Please get Trentus photos of past Carolingian events so he can mat them and have them on display.

Equestrian will trade off with parking space.

Lady ? Has stepped up to handle middle eastern activities. Hafla, etc.

Westford is requiring permits for food, progress is being made on qualifying the relevant individuals.

I could use help with A&S.

I need to coordinate with Stephanie re: youth activities.

Stephanie: I will be available to talk.

Cathain: How have people tried to get answers from Equestrians, as I haven’t seen any requests, and I’m on all the equestrian lists?

Aaradyn: Lets take this to e-mail, and post to the event page when we know more.

Eadgyth: I will be pestering people at Pennsic to bring items for the historical display. Please get in touch with me if you have anything specific. I will be trying to collect the stuff ahead of time, and coordinating with the autocrats to get it on display.

Cassandra: We are using the pole barn for A&S. We have a lot of classes and not a lot of space, so we are on the hunt for tents.

Crown: Valerian: We put in a provisional bid for fall crown, pending discussion with council. No one had put in a bid for what is supposed to be a central region crown. Topsfield arena is available. It’s pricy, but it’s all inclusive, and Crown should attract enough to cover it. Volunteer support would basically be gate and people to run the lists. $350 an hour, 10 hours. I received the contract today, and it seems reasonable.

Council approves.
Bridge also put in a bid after hearing there were none. Updates will be given moving forward.

General announcements:

Lizzy’s for ice-cream after the meeting.

Sugiwara: Tuesday, Jul 18th, tying tags on firestarters for largesse.