Great Council Minutes Feb AS LVII (2023) 7:30 PM

Great Council Minutes Feb AS LVII (2023) 7:30 PM

Coronets Nobildonna Fiore Leonetta Bardi and Lord Frithuric Ulman:

Her Excellency: We’ve had a lot of things happen in the Barony recently. At Winter Nights, we selected Mistress Anne as our new court performer, Welcome. Solveig and Sugawara also did beautiful performances, and I Sebastiani (The Greatest Commedia del’arte troupe in the entire world) created excellent mayhem.
At Birka we had three locals receive Awards. Isabel del Oaks received a writ for Laurel. Cristoff Gockerhan von Loch (Clock) received his Pelican, and Röskva mac Cianain, called Widowmaker was made a member of the Tygers Combatant.
Their excellencies are in the process of moving, so things are a little hectic.


Seneschal Lady Aaradyn Gyoot

Welcome to February Council. Good see everyone.
Issues with the meeting link delayed start slightly.-
Curia happened! The finalized revisions to EK Law will be published once the Clerk of Law and Their Majesties are done with it. A few tweaks were made, namely to the proposed changes to the requirements for Order of the Maunche – that the service requirement not be struck, and for it to say “and” instead of “or”; and changes to how Youth Champions are handled and chosen which is much too long to go into so if you’re interested, keep an eye out for the updated EK Law and if you have further questions, please contact Their Highnesses for their Curia.

Effective February 15th Membership prices are increasing, Sustaining Membership is increasing from $45 to $55, Associate Membership from $30 to $40, Family Memberships are increasing from $10 to $15 per person. There are no changes to Canadian or International memberships.

Effective Apr 1st, the non-member surcharge is increasing to $10. This only applies to events that charge a gate fee. And this does go into effect regardless of when the event was put on the calendar, even if advertising has already gone out.
Arylana: If a registration was sent in prior to Feb 3, the prior registration would be honored.
Aaradyn: I will remind you that you can e-mail the BOD any time you like. “”.

It is call for policy review time. According to the policies of Carolingia, I have to call policy review, although we don’t have to do one. It is up to the populace.
-There is sufficient interest.-

Proposals are due on Feb 15th, they will be published for March Council. Revisions will be due on March 6, and the vote will occur at April.

Aedgyth: I don’t believe there is sufficient time to prepare proposals before the 15th.

Eowyn: I don’t remember what the policies currently say, but two weeks is a very short time.
Donato: Please send this out separately from the meeting minutes.
Aradyn: Get them to me as quickly as you can, we will have what we have for March and proceed from there.

Seneschal of the Canton of the Towers: Sir Eirikr Lambson

No Report

Secretary Lord Donato Favro

No Report

Chancellor of the Exchequer Kara Irini bin Todori

No Report

Chancellor Minor Master Cristoff Gockerhan von Loch and Stephanie Leatherfoot L’Huissier
No Report

Chatelaine Master Justin de Coeur

There is a Renfair on April 26th-28th at the Topsfield Fairgrounds, and we have been invited to participate.
His excellency and Trentus will be coordinating.

Golden Gryphon Pursuivant Richard Heyworth:

No Report

Gold Key Lord Orlando dei Medici

No Report

Knight Marshal Master Valerian of Somerset

No Report

Minister of Arts & Sciences Meisterin Cathain Ritter

There is a new kingdom A&S display that has gone up recently.

Web Minister Lady Elspeth of Ruthven

No Report

Chronicler Mistress Ysabel da Costa

No Report

Dance Lady Aelia Fortunata

Quintavia is hosting the Black Rose Ball on March 30th in Berlin. It should be a lot of fun. It is Easter weekend, and against Anime Boston, but it is a fun time, so show up.

Historian Mistress Eowyn Eilownwy of Alewife Brook

No Report

Liber Editor Lord Orlando dei Medici

No Report

Marshal, Fence Lord Zohane Faber

No Report

Marshal, Archery Master Peter the Red
Archery was cancelled a couple of weeks ago due to Birka, and snow the week before, but it is ongoing through the winter.
Marshal, Thrown Weapons Lord Pandaulf of Fenmere

No Report

Minister of the Lists Sir Trentus Nubianus

No Report

Steward Lady Gudrun Thorvaldsdottir

No Report

Clerk of the Stable Etain ingen Ut Neill

No Report

Social Media Officer Lady Caterina Genevra Beltrami

No Report

Principals of Baronial Orders 

Order of the Daystar Lady Ysabel da Costa

If you know someone you would like to nominate for the Daystar (Service) please let Their Excellencies or the Principal of the Order know! You do not need to be a member to nominate someone for the Order.

Order of the Moon Lady Eleanor Catling:

We had a lovely arts event a couple of days ago, consider recommending people who you saw there. There will be a meeting next month, the date will be announced at next council.
If you know someone you would like to nominate for the Moon (Arts and Sciences) please let Their Excellencies or the Principal of the Order know! You do not need to be a member to nominate someone for the Order.

Order of Perseus Magister Symon of Barnesdale:

If you know someone you would like to nominate for the Perseus (Martial Activities) please let Their Excellencies or the Principal of the Order know! You do not need to be a member to nominate someone for the Order.

Order of the Comet Lord Cristoff Gockerhan von Loch and Stephanie Leatherfoot L’Huissier

If you know a youth you would like to nominate for the Comet please let Their Excellencies or the Principals of the Order know! You do not need to be a member to nominate someone for the Order.


Low Company Master Justin du Coeur

Calligraphers Lady Aaradyn Ghyoot:

Waytes Lady Ysabel da Costa

Callivers will be doing Melee drills on the 22nd.

Foresters: The Foresters have been chartered as a royal guild. We had new people swear at Birka. The next meeting will be on Feb 18th in Sterling, MA. And the one after in Rochester MA on Mar 24th.

NeedleWorkers: Meeting next Tuesday the 12th.


Winter Nights – Peregrine:

Wonderful. We had 40 people attend. 12 competitors. 2 extras in the first round. Overall the event went smoothly. Lots of praise for our day board cook. Lots of praise for my staff. Lorita de Sienna won the Winter Nights competition. Anne of Framingham won Court Performer of Carolingia. We were out of the site by 7:30. A nice, smooth, small event. The site has been heavily remodeled, and there now are hanging rings on the beams of the main room, which could be used to sound dampen the room, especially since it no longer has carpet.

Astrid: Please send me an updated inventory on tables and chairs.

Aaradyn: There were issues with the ovens that will be reported to site.

Peregrine: The full report will be next month. I think we broke even, but no promises.

Otters Welcome: May 18th. Eadgyth has a proposal regarding Otter’s Welcome.


Otter’s Welcome is a newcomer focussed event. The recent change in the non-reg passthrough makes a significant price difference between members and non-members, and there is no way for us to absorb the difference. The only way to not collect it is to not charge a site fee. Donation only events have worked for the Barony in the past.

Cathain: Can we post a paypal link for donations.

Aaradyn: No.

Justin: Strongly in favor. This would be the most helpful.

Elspeth: Are other payment methods acceptable.

Aaradyn: No. Cash is it for the moment.

Eadgyth: I could suggest that we carefully phrase the brochures and other material to manage expectations in the promotion. Including that cash is the only option.

John: Can we hold an event and a demo at the same place and not charge visitors.

Aaradyn et al: It would mean we couldn’t run goldkey, they couldn’t particpate.

John: Other weasel wording proposals.

Donato: We’ve got the money from 50 year. Spend it. If we make it back from donations, yay. Otherwise, what’s the harm.

Tasha: What did you mean when you said we don’t have infrastructure for taking payment what did you mean.

Aradyn: There is no way to take payment that ends up with us. The accounts don’t exist to bring the money to us.

Arlyana: I am working on it, but it’s not a priority for Exchequer.

Kara: We made 7k in 2023.

Eleanor Catlyng: We had this exact same conversation when the membership surcharge first came in, and a donation only event was succesful then.

Astrid: The total cost is expected to be $1760.

Eleanor: Last year’s income also could pay for this, even if we took in zero dollars.

Astrid: The event stewards have decided that this will be a donation only event. Because it’s the only way the marketing works.
The financial committee votes: Unanimous, it will be a donation only event.

Aaradyn: We can still charge for lunch.

Status Astrid-

We have been working with our key staff to make this the best possible experience for our attendees. We have created a small simple flyer with a QR code that goes to the EK calendar. Some were passed out at Birka. Contact me if you would like a PDF to distribute. If you are a Merchant please reach out to Solveig. There is no fee for Merchanting. There will be a sign up form soon that will go to Solveig, but you can contact her directly. Justin and Theo of Stonemarche will be coordinating the Ambassador program.

Can the Baronial steward please send me a Baronial inventory so we can coordinate goods.

Gudrun: The inventory is not complete, but I will forward a copy when it is.

Astrid: Otherwise we will begin marketing heavily.

Carolingia Rapier Champs: Eon Broc. I am proposing Rapier Champs on June 1st. The site fee has gone up a little bit, but I think we can get enough people to cover it. Any questions:
Irini: Where?
The last couple were at the Plymouth Church in Framingham, and we are looking at the same.

Eon: We would like to reserve the weekend fairly soon, as they are filling up.

This is opposite Southern Region War Camp.

Then maybe the 9th?

Peter: King and Queens Archery is proposed for the 8th.

? Is either of these a concern.

Frithuric: Neither of these concern me significantly.

Eowyn: I would defer to the event steward for the preferred date.

Eowyn: I will check with fencers.

Tentatively approved by the barony.

Aaradyn: Get a draft of your proposed budget to the financial committee ASAP, and have it for March Council. Get a contract from the Church ASAP as well.

Eon: If any other things want to happen there, we can throw that in, let me know.

General announcements:

Pandaulf: The BOD is (finally) starting to flirt with a proposal for the Omnibus Marshal Peerage. They are soliciting comments.

Peter: I Sebastiani is performing Constant Love on February 23-25th. The 23rd is in Somerville. Saturday and Sunday are at the first Parish in Concord.

John Redbeard was an archer and taught the making of bows has recently passed. There will be a memorial at the scout house in Concord on the 19th.