Baronial Meeting Minutes – June 4, 2018

Carolingian Great Council – June 4, 2018
  • Hi June?
  • Exellencies
    • Congratulations to our heirs, Thomas and Raziya.  Vivant!
    • Court will be held at EK50 and at Pennsic
      • EK50 Court – Will NOT be right after EK court.  Tentatively at 7:30pm in one of the AS tents on Friday night.  Since we’re having court, we would like to induct members into the orders.
    • “Disturbing Topic Coming”
      • Our Heavy List Champion 2 years ago, Anton la Flamme, was given an enforced break from the SCA due to unchivalrous behavior.  The complete regalia was not returned by the former champion, specifically the sword, despite frequent entreaties.  We would like to propose, since Pennsic has the most options for swords, that council provides the budget for a replacement sword.
        • Should we prod him again about returning it?  Orlando has offered to give another try “I don’t care about being rude, I’m the exchequer and I care about money”
      • Proposal from the chair – do some research between now and July council to provide a price range.
    • Pennsic Court – To be scheduled
  • New Golden griffin herald: Anezka of Carolingia
  • Rufinia is dead!  Our senechal is a oddly-familier looking Margreta Gyllensteirna
  • Officers
    • Historian – Continuing to work towards EK50.
      •  Program page was submitted and has been acknowledged.  Working on memorial pages for the memorial garden, a list of names has been sent to the email list with potential names, or see below
      • Continuing to collect for the historical booth.  Organizers have a suggested list of things, we’d like to have them.
      • During the event, we are looking for volunteers to sit at the booth, keep an eye on things and answer questions.  There will be an online signup for slots
      • The stuff has been shifted out of the storage locker, the historians archive is now in Margreta’s basement
    • Moon, Perseus, Daystar – suggest people, you don’t need to be a member to recommend.  Write to either the Baron/esse or the principle of the order
  • Activities and Guilds
    • Calligraphers Guild – Next meeting will be Wed, June 6 @presentations school foundation 7:30pm. The guest teacher will be Master Robert Brandywine teaching Intro and Gothic calligraphy
    • Low Company, June 16th in the afternoon.  Come by and eat lunch and then play outside games.  Bocce and Boules and maybe Hurley
    • Dance – On hiatus in the summer but dance continues in quintavia on the first tuesday of the month (tomorrow)
    • Waytes – continue to meet on the usual schedule.  We played at the War of the Roses and might take a summer hiatus, but haven’t yet.  Anyone who wants to come and play with us is welcome
  • Other things
    • Ascheryst – heavy regional made a bit of profit, not a lot, but a bit.  Crafty night this month will be for scroll cases.  Wednesday the 13th @7:30pm
    • At EK50 – Margreta is running the pub at the center of “town”.  A place to hang out and get a cold drink and eat some pretzels.  She’s going to look for volunteers online
    • At Panteria – EK Thrown Weapons championship was held.  8 of the final 16 were carolingians.  Caz was one of the finalists to be Queen’s champion and Simon was almost chosen for Kings champion, received a ring from the Kings hand in recognition.  Elian of the Fellswood was awarded arms.
  • Next council is July 9th at Northeastern (205 Hastings Hall, says YMCA on it).  Vivat to the late Rufinia for running the election with a minimal of death, only hers.
  • Final due-date for bylaws amendments is June-9
  • Historian – Memorial Garden details.
    • These names come in 4 categories: 1. Already done; 2. Named person is in charge; 3. Work partly done & I’m trying to arrange to finish; and 4. Someone might want to do.
  1. Aelfwine Dunedain — page has been made by Tchipakkan Arastorm & her daughters
  2. Those for whom someone has agreed to lead on making a memorial page
    • Barak Raz — page being made by Tchipakkan Arastorm
    • Caitlin Davies — page being made by Justin du Coeur
    • Christabel Heslington — page being made by Pandaulf
    • Johan von Traubenberg — page being made by Arianna of Wynthrope
    • Kali Harlansson of Gotland — page being made by Caryl de Trecesson
    • Lisa Goldenstar — page being made by Tchipakkan Arastorm
    • Marian of Edwinstowe, called Old Marian — page being made by Florian of the Glen & Eadgyth aet Staeningum
  3. Patri du Chat Gris — Mara Tudora Kolarova has composed text; we are in search of a suitable picture
  4. Those without someone to lead on making a memorial page
    • Christopher of Westbury
    • Deonora Ridenow
    • Eleni of Carolingia
    • Franz Joder von Joderhuebel
    • Gyrth Oldcastle of Ravenspur
    • Laura Hawkwood, was Laura de Segovia
    • Rose Otter
    • Taran of Windy Hill

Baronial Meeting Minutes – September 11, 2017

Please contact the Secretary at with any questions or corrections.

Happy almost fall! And happy-ish Allston Christmas!

Pennsic was fun for everyone!

Here are your September Council Minutes from your substitute secretary, Agnes. If you see any errors, please notify me immediately so I can send out corrections:

  1. Officer Announcements
    • Chatelaine: We’ve received an email from a photographer who is looking for male or female models for an unpaid job in garb with weapons on the 23rd and 24th of September in Merrimack, MA. Copies of the pictures will be given but no money and no credit. It appears this may be used for a book cover of the fantastical medieval variety but even that is not guaranteed. The photographer has not requested either a particular period or country. Obviously no one should feel obligated to do this, but the Chatelaine will forward the email to the list shortly.
    • The Exchequer requested that anyone with business for him speak with him after the meeting. Presumably this means if you weren’t at the meeting and have business with him, you can email him.
  2. Guild Announcements
    • Dance practice starts Thursday, September 28, at the Presentation School Foundation Community Center in Oak Square, 640 Washington Street in Brighton. This session will last ten weeks: through the first Thursday of December, skipping Thanksgiving.
    • Carolingia’s instrumental ensemble–the Waytes–continues to practice on its usual schedule. If you need more details, feel to contact Isabel at
    • The Calligrapher’s Guild was slated to meet today for their first meeting of the fall. I would have felt terribly to have missed getting the notes out before then but the meeting has been postponed until further notice.
    • Quire meets at the same location as the Waytes in Dorchester. There is the possibility of an upcoming concert at a church. If you would like details more regularly, they can be located on the mailing list for jongleurs. If you would like to be put on this mailing list, contact Orlando at
    • Heraldry: artwork has been going through since Pennsic despite the vagaries of a broken printer
  3. Business
    • Have you noticed any issues with your mailing list emails? (That would be sarcasm because of course you have.) They have been kind of resolved but not 100%. What can we do to approach this from a Big Picture angle? For one thing, we could ask the person who owns it to deputize someone to substitute for him the next time he goes to Burning Man. As it turns out we do have other options for mailing lists and just need to stop being inert and do something about it. Our webminister, Symon, advocates for migrating the mailing list. There is a rumor that the EK mailing stuff will be moving to Google, but that hasn’t happened yet. We should also be aware that there is no current archive for the mailing list aside from people who never delete email. No one at the meeting–guilds, officers, or principals–objected to moving mailing lists and/or polling lists off Yahoo. On the downside, I suspect this conversation was more complex than I am able to convey in note form. On the plus side, community problem solving for the win!
    • Banners: These were the project at the newcomers’ event last month. They went very well. They were at 5 Armies and will be (were) presented at Falling Leaves. The funding received paid for all of the paint involved. And they were so pretty!!
  4. Events
    • 5 Armies was cool and very likely made a profit; we’re just waiting on a few receipts and reports will be filed shortly. The site gave us an A+ for cleanliness, but next time we would request that the water remain on. We budgeted for 300 adults and children; the actual number was 280. We budged for 200 to camp, but only 100 did. The gate fees made up the shortfall. Feedback has been mostly positive; criticism has focused mostly on “you should do x when you do this next year.” There appears to be great interest in this becoming a repeat event. Possibly there would be a more formal profit-sharing agreement for next time. Autocrat Andreiko will get in touch with the other baronies to see if they have positive responses. He would also be willing to autocrat at least one more time.
    • Falling Leaves in Exile is this weekend! (was this weekend) There will be horses! (there were horses)
    • Next month’s Council Meeting will be on Monday, October 2. This will be an event planning meeting. If you have a thought about an event you would like to run, bring it to council!
  5. Other Announcements
    • If you lost something at 5 armies, look for it in Andreiko’s box.
    • There were lots of awards given at Pennsic. If you would like details, look in the EK Gazette or email me directly; these notes are long enough as it is.
    • The next newcomer’s night is September 18, at Isabelle’s. There will be games and there will be dinner, all starting at 6:30. For more details email Isabelle.
    • Next Low Company Meeting is Friday, September 23, at Symon and Deirdre’s house. The games will be of the fiddly variety, and dinner will be of the poultry variety. Email an RSVP so Deirdre knows how much food to make.
    • RIP to Cassini, who flung herself into the gaseous arms of Saturn on September 15th